Virtual Stock Exchange
#1
I know little to nothing about the stock market and have been playing around with the site vse.marketwatch.com to try and teach myself a little bit about trade types, market orders, etc. Anyone else ever played with it (or tried day trading for real?) Started last month - so far I have been doing alright at it (started with a $1000 investment)

My Portfolio

Today's Return

-1.52%

Total Return

+52.62%

Week's Return

+19.49%

Total Equity

$1,526.20

Month's Return

+64.86%

Cash

$1,526.20

Seems pretty easy - buy low, sell high Smile
Why do people just post what they are thinking? Without thinking.

2012 Ford Mustang
1995 BMW 540i/A
1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
  Reply
#2
A bunch of guys I know had a 6 week league back in May. I ended up winning with a 40% return on investment because I had mostly VISA stock. It can be pretty addictive, especially if you're day trading.
'76 911S | '14 328xi | '17 GTI | In memoriam: '08 848, '85 944

"Here, at last, is the cure for texting while driving. The millions of deaths which occur every year due to the iPhone’s ability to stream the Kim K/Ray-J video in 4G could all be avoided, every last one of them, if the government issued everyone a Seventies 911 and made sure they always left the house five minutes later than they’d wanted to. It would help if it could be made to rain as well. Full attention on the road. Guaranteed." -Jack Baruth
  Reply
#3
another decent one is at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://simulator.investopedia.com/">http://simulator.investopedia.com/</a><!-- m -->, a few of us were playing
last year, but I think most everyone gave up. It does seem easy at times, so I put a little real $ in the game (through etrade.com), made nothing on BP, DUK, SMHC, a couple hundred on AAPL, and am currently about the same amount down on TGT. So... nothing really. :lol:

I'm about to switch to zecco.com, they give you 10 free trades a month with a $2500 balance, sounds good to me. Starting with less than that I've found is really tough as a significant percent of your $ goes to trading costs, and you can't afford to maintain anything close to a balanced portfolio. So really, the bank wins, you struggle to break even, and you still have to claim and pay taxes on whatever little $ you might have made. :?

Invest in BEAV! :lol:
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a van is a good guy with a van
  Reply
#4
you know what, don't invest any real money. I take that back. Consider these tidbits from today:

Headline: "Apple stock drops despite jump in Q3 profit"
"The quarter was a home run," Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer said in an interview.......
In all, Apple earned $1.07 billion, or $1.19 per share, 11 cents ahead of Wall Street's expectations, according to a Thomson Financial survey of analysts......
Revenue jumped 38 percent to $7.46 billion, ahead of analysts' average view for $7.37 billion in sales.

So what's the stock price do? Drop from 165 to 150 of course.

Headline: "Wachovia loses $8.9B, cuts 6,350 workers, dividend"
CHARLOTTE, N.C.ÔÇöWachovia Corp. reported a surprisingly large second-quarter loss Tuesday, deflating Wall Street's hopes that the nation's big banks are weathering the credit crisis well. The bank said it lost $8.86 billion, is slashing its dividend and eliminating 10,750 positions after losses tied to mortgages soared.
What's the stock price do? Started at ~12 this morning, is currently at 16.2 and climbing FAST.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a van is a good guy with a van
  Reply
#5
I have no idea how that shit happens
My Tumblr
2008 Felt F75 - Pedal Power
  Reply
#6
I blame the liberals
(09-25-2019, 03:18 PM)V1GiLaNtE Wrote: I think you need to see a mental health professional.
  Reply
#7
this is why i just plug money into a mutual fund and let the pros work it out. i'm way too dumb to see stuff like that coming.
2010 Civic Si
2019 4Runner TRD Off-Road
--------------------------
Past:  03 Xterra SE 4x4  |  05 Impreza 2.5RS  |  99.5 A4 Quattro 1.8T  |  01 Accord EX  |  90 Maxima GXE  |  96 Explorer XLT
  Reply
#8
I played the game for real. I have a feeling that it is probably lot like cards in that it is not anywhere near the same game wthout real money at stake.

I was a loser for 9.6% of $2,000 over a fairly short time period (less than 6 monthss) which included 18 trades. At like 10 bucks or more a trade you can see where the money loss really came from.

I'm sure if you have a larger starting bankroll and a lot more patience than me you could probably do well.

-T
MIHS - hot cause we fly you ain't so you not

2004 Subaru WRX STi
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass
  Reply
#9
BLINGMW Wrote:In all, Apple earned $1.07 billion, or $1.19 per share, 11 cents ahead of Wall Street's expectations,
WINDFALL PROFITS. EVIL Apple taking advantage of poor consumers. Where are the democrats to save us from this evil company?!!!!!!
SM #55 | 06 Titan | 12 Focus | 06 Exige | 14 CX-5
  Reply
#10
apple stock has been going down due to rumored price buts and steve jobs being on the out.
I Am Mike
4 wheels:  '01 RAV4 (Formerly '93 Civic CX, '01 S2000, '10 GTI, '09 A4 Avant)
2 wheels: '12 Surly Cross-Check Custom | '14 Trek Madone 2.1 105 | '17 Norco Threshold SL Force 1 | '17 Norco Revolver 9.2 FS | '18 BMC Roadmachine 02 Two | '19 Norco Search XR Steel (Formerly '97 Honda VFR750F, '05 Giant TCR 2, '15 WeThePeople Atlas 24, '10 Scott Scale 29er XT, '11 Cervelo R3 Rival, '12 Ridley X-Fire Red)

No longer onyachin.
  Reply
#11
Jobs looks like he has lost 50 lbs. This is a guy that can't afford to lose 10lbs. something is up with his health. Steve Jobs is Apple!

I used to daytrade quite a large portfolio in 99-03. It was easy at first then I had to trade the "short" side in 01-03. Trading stocks and hoping they go down became depressing. I was making obscene profits but it was depressing as hell. Now I have a small trading account and have the majority of my assets being managed by professional money managers. It leaves me more time to focus on my real job, lurking and posting on forums.......
"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Ole - (pronounced O-Lee) See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_(name)

http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com (New site up and running - Thanks Apoc)
  Reply
#12
I've slowly weaned my investments away from stocks for the time being. Aside from the market situation, the ways in which you are taxed on stock gains before and after you sell them are obscene.

Edit: Just to stay on topic, I've never tried fantasy trading, but it would be a good way to practice in case I ever decided to play around in teh stock market again.
Posting in the banalist of threads since 2004

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD Premium

Past: 2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Crew Cab / 2010 Jaguar XFR / 2012 Acura RDX AWD Tech / 2008 Cadillac CTS / 2007 Acura TL-S / 1966 5.0 HO Mustang Coupe
2001 Lexus IS300 / 2004 2.8L big turbo WRX STI / 2004 Subaru WRX / A couple of old trucks
  Reply
#13
WRXtranceformed Wrote:you are taxed on stock gains before and after you sell them

What??? I think you are doing it wrong.
  Reply
#14
You're taxed on the growth of the stock in your portfolio every year as income and you're taxed on the basis when you sell them.
Posting in the banalist of threads since 2004

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD Premium

Past: 2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Crew Cab / 2010 Jaguar XFR / 2012 Acura RDX AWD Tech / 2008 Cadillac CTS / 2007 Acura TL-S / 1966 5.0 HO Mustang Coupe
2001 Lexus IS300 / 2004 2.8L big turbo WRX STI / 2004 Subaru WRX / A couple of old trucks
  Reply
#15
Need an accountatnt that specializes in traders. I used one in Boca Raton, Fl. in 99-03
"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Ole - (pronounced O-Lee) See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_(name)

http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com (New site up and running - Thanks Apoc)
  Reply
#16
WRXtranceformed Wrote:You're taxed on the growth of the stock in your portfolio every year as income and you're taxed on the basis when you sell them.

Wrong. You only pay taxes on gains when you sell the stock. As long as you are holding the security you are not paying taxes on that investment/money.
  Reply
#17
mrbaggio Wrote:
WRXtranceformed Wrote:You're taxed on the growth of the stock in your portfolio every year as income and you're taxed on the basis when you sell them.

Wrong. You only pay taxes on gains when you sell the stock. As long as you are holding the security you are not paying taxes on that investment/money.

Maybe he's mistakenly thinking about the taxes on dividends?
'76 911S | '14 328xi | '17 GTI | In memoriam: '08 848, '85 944

"Here, at last, is the cure for texting while driving. The millions of deaths which occur every year due to the iPhone’s ability to stream the Kim K/Ray-J video in 4G could all be avoided, every last one of them, if the government issued everyone a Seventies 911 and made sure they always left the house five minutes later than they’d wanted to. It would help if it could be made to rain as well. Full attention on the road. Guaranteed." -Jack Baruth
  Reply
#18
Apoc Wrote:
mrbaggio Wrote:
WRXtranceformed Wrote:You're taxed on the growth of the stock in your portfolio every year as income and you're taxed on the basis when you sell them.

Wrong. You only pay taxes on gains when you sell the stock. As long as you are holding the security you are not paying taxes on that investment/money.

Maybe he's mistakenly thinking about the taxes on dividends?
Yep, that's what I meant....give me a break, I'm hungover today.
Posting in the banalist of threads since 2004

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD Premium

Past: 2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Crew Cab / 2010 Jaguar XFR / 2012 Acura RDX AWD Tech / 2008 Cadillac CTS / 2007 Acura TL-S / 1966 5.0 HO Mustang Coupe
2001 Lexus IS300 / 2004 2.8L big turbo WRX STI / 2004 Subaru WRX / A couple of old trucks
  Reply
#19
you could have the dividends reinvested and you wouldn't have that problem.
  Reply
#20
You still pay tax on re-invested dividends.
"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Ole - (pronounced O-Lee) See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_(name)

http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com (New site up and running - Thanks Apoc)
  Reply


Forum Jump: